Thursday, August 24, 2006

So many doctors......

Well this week has been a whilrwind of doctors appointments and information overload.
First, Mike and I went to the OB GYN. I had to start seeing an OB right away due to my history of blood clotting, and the fact that I have factor V leiden.
After our discussion, the Dr said that he would most likely be sending me for daily injections of heparin. He is sending me to another specialist to confirm his opinion, but in all likelihood this will be the case.
This worried Mike and I a bit, but we are pleased that he is taking a proactive approach to my situation, and not taking a "wait and see" attitude when and if I develop a clot during the pregnancy.
On another note, we saw the results from the dating ultrasound, and it said our due date is March 3 2007, which is 2 days earlier than what we had thought...although, babies do tend to come whenever they are ready !!
Then, the next day I went to the family doctor. She answered a few of my questions that I didn't ask the OB. Somehow I felt more comfortable talking to her, I suppose because I have known her longer ??
There seems to be a question as to whether I will be able to deliver the baby vaginally, or if I will have to have a C-Section. There are risks to me for both.
On the one hand, a vaginal birth could put too much stress on my body, but on the other hand, a c-section would be dangerous due to the fact that I will be on blood thinners, however "mild" the dose may be. Because a c-section is considered surgery, the risk to me is greater while I am on heparin.
Which leads to the third doctor I will be visiting. She is an internist, and she will be the one to consult with the OB and decide when I should begin on the heparin. Apparently I will be giving myself these injections. That is scary, but I will do whatever it takes to make sure that I can deliver a healthy baby.

No comments: